Saturday, January 12, 2013

Preparing for the Future

Hey, You?! You're here!







Update

This week I finally started guitar lessons. I decided that I needed person-to-person lessons to keep myself on track and consistently practice. Catching up on scales and learning the notes on each string on each fret. Basic stuff that I've failed to acknowledge. Currently looking for a place to get legit voice lessons from as well as to also keep myself on track.

Still trying to get that internship. I could probably be more persistent with the people I'm trying to reach out to, but I'm being cautious as usual. I haven't figured out how annoying is annoying yet when it comes to contacting people that hold the future of your career in their unknowingly powerful hands. I got faith that it'll work out somehow though!

Sadly this was a slightly boring week, filled with jet-lag hibernation and rudimentary instrument practice. But hey, the boring stuff is important.

In Other News


I got a sweet piece of equipment this week:

Its a mic stand arm thingy! AKA a microphone stand boom arm. Yeah, BOOM. Slightly important, cause now ill be able to record sound off my amp.






















Now all I need left is a reflection filter like these two:

...and then I'll be able to make pro sounding vocals and live samples of instruments. What this weird wall-like contraption does is reduce the reverberations of the sound going into the mic to "deaden" or "dampen" the sound. In simpler words, it cuts out the excess sound bouncing around the room giving you cleaner recordings of a voice or what have you. Why is it great to have? It makes the effects you add to the recorded voice sound better. I'm not just talking about auto-tune or reverb either, but stuff like EQ, Compression, Limiters, and other important stuff I don't want to explain benefit; making stuff sound awesome.
My room has a good echo to it, which isn't good for when you need to isolate the voice to add to a track.

Some Other Thoughts

Business is going to be an ( ______ insert word that stands for big) part of my "career" in music. So I've been working on my social skills, behavior, and appearance in a social and/or business setting. One can do this by simply being thrown into the fire and surviving. Like a boss. Been seeing some ( _____ insert a different word that stands for big) improvements too! I think...
A thing I tend to forget to keep in mind when dealing with people in a business setting is
They are people.
 Its really funny and relieving when I try to act professional and the other person I'm contacting is informal. People in this industry (so far) seem to have no signs of poles stuck up their anus. Takes the stress off of communication. Really shows that you can keep yourself alive and not turn into a robot. I wonder if the corporate world is different.

Which brings me to a different subject.

I didn't realize that I would be turning into an "entrepreneur" going into the business of music. That word entrepreneur implies taking risks and leading. I never thought that being an artist and creating music is the same thing as being a "brand" and developing said brand's reputation with the kind of music you make. Never made that connection, cause when you think of business you think of the corporate ladder, suits, blahblahblah. But being an artist the same as running your own business? The thought was completely foreign to me. It should have been obvious though, my major is MUSIC BUSINESS after all. Duh. Guess I can say I learned something.

BTW

I promise there will be videos and stuff for you to listen to soon! Until then all I can offer is this sweet stupid YouTube clip about boots and cats:

Outro.

Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment